Friday, September 14, 2012

Working through 2 Peter

As I said in my last post, I've begun a study of 2 Peter. As of now, I don't exactly know to what extent I'm going to share what I'm learning as I study through this book. I think that for today, I'll point out things about the text that I thought were particularly interesting or stirring. Maybe after that, I'll go into some practical implications.

Fair disclaimer, I don't at all claim to be an expositor, as it were. There are plenty of qualified men for that. Like I said before, this is part journal, part insight into my learning process.

The text before me was this (2 Peter 1:1-2):
Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ: May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

What? That's it? Yep, It sure is.

Things that stood out

  1. The ESV says “servant,” but it is more appropriately translated “slave.” So, Simon Peter calls himself a slave before he calls himself an apostle. Keep in mind that in this culture, slaves were considered as lowly and as valuable as animals. They were very simply, tools to be used and owned. Peter considers himself a tool at the disposal of God. So that which is generally demeaning in a social setting is spiritually honorable. To be God's slave is cause for honor.
  2. This is true because it comes before the title of “apostle” which was undoubtedly honorable. This is a title that few people were able to lay claim to. (And one that no one has a right to claim today). An apostle was a follower and witness of the risen Christ.
      … and yet, he calls himself a slave first!
In his commentary to 2 Peter, John MacArthur says this, “Peter, in presenting himself in these terms sets a pattern for all in spiritual leadership: the submissive, sacrificial anonymity of a slave combined with the dignity, significance, and authority of an apostle.”
I thought that was an interesting juxtaposition.

  1. In his introduction, he says, “To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours...”
    Ahh! There's so much in here!
  • Firstly, Peter's letter is to the same believers as 1 Peter is.
  • Secondly, these same believers “have obtained a faith.” This is also translated as “have received.” Apparently, the verb in the greek that is being translated is “lagchano” which means “to gain by divine will or by the giving of by an allotment.” So, it's not something obtained by human means (effort, fortitude, will, discipline, worthiness, etc). It is a faith that is received by humans, given by God's allotment and sovereign will.
  • Thirdly, “a faith” refers to the subjective power of the Christian to believe the gospel for salvation.
  • Fourthly it is said to be “of equal standing.” This is likely talking about the equality of the gentiles' ability to believe the gospel for salvation as the Jews' ability to believe the gospel for salvation. Peter, a Jew, writing to gentiles, is making it clear that the faith they have that causes them to believe the gospel which results in their salvation is of equal worthiness to his faith that causes him to believe the gospel which results in his salvation. So, there is no distinction between Jew or gentile. (Also see Galatians 3:28)
  1. So basically, to those who have (by allotment) received the ability to believe the saving truth of the gospel that is of equal standing to all other who have done so, have done all this “by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ.”
  • Sinners have access to God and eternal life not because of their own goodness/righteousness, but because IN their belief of the gospel (the work of Jesus on the cross and His resurrection), we are given Christ's righteousness. Jesus imputes his righteousness to our credit, erasing our sins (past and future) from our slate, thus making us acceptable to God.
  • Another interesting thing to note here: “God and Savior Jesus Christ” are not two different people. “God and Savior” both are descriptive terms of “Jesus Christ.” He is both God AND Savior.

On to verse two's observations....

  1. The substance/aftermath of the salvation found in verse one is grace and peace. (Romans 5:1-2).
  • Grace (charis) – “God's free, unmerited favor towards sinners, which grants those who believe the gospel complete forgiveness forever through the Lord Jesus Christ.”
  • Peace (eirene) - “peace with God and from Him in all life's circumstances I the effect of grace.”
  1. All of this grace and peace comes from the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.
  • As our knowledge of God and Jesus grows (which can only be obtained through the objective truths found in scripture) our understanding and appreciation of grace grows and therefore peace abounds.


So some personal implications? You'll have to draw your own applications, but for me, I've recently (VERY recently... since... yesterday) been thinking through what to do with my time. Do I look for full time work? Do I enjoy some of the freedom Sergio's income is allowing me to read, write, attend classes at church? I actually found myself feeling a bit of anxiety over this last night. It took me about 30-45 minutes to fall asleep because I just kept running different scenarios/for-instances in my head. The reality that you can have either money OR time (never both) was a heavy burden. 

I still can't say yet that I've decided for sure, but meditating on this scripture has helped. I can't tell you how easy it is to let yourself run wild with emotions, make rash decisions based solely on circumstance, or consider yourself discontent because your soul is unsettled. The only way to fight this tug to lose your mind with worry and doubt is to remind yourself what is TRUE - not what/how you feel in the moment. 

So, last night (and it was a struggle, because all I wanted to do was meditate on the "what ifs") I had to continue to remind myself that:

1. I'm Christ's tool. I was bought with a price and I'm not my own. Hammers don't go running around looking for something to hammer. Its master will move it when it needs. It should be still until then. 

2. I am a joint heir with Christ. My salvation is secure in Christ and so I already have the kingdom. Financial circumstances are temporary and never a justification for anxiety in light of this truth! 

3. God's grace is sufficient. 

4. I should have peace in my heart. 

Knowing these things and living them are two different things. But when I remind myself of what I know instead of focusing on what I feel, living them out comes naturally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment