Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Preparing for Calvin Part One

Well, baby Calvin is due at the end of June. That's just over two months from now. Sergio and I are eager to meet this little man. (My eagerness is partly influenced by the fact that I'm not crazy about being pregnant and am quite ready for it to be over).

Sergio and I are not planners. What's more, we're both procrastinators. So when people ask, "What do you still need to get ready?" My response is, "Everything." We have some baby clothes as well as bottles that a couple of families have graciously handed down. We have a small supply of diapers and baby formula ready to go in case he comes early. And the baby registry is mostly finished. But that's it. What more is there? I have no idea. I figure we'll learn as we go. We're experts at winging it.

But there are aspects of child-rearing that I am not leaving to chance. No, I have not read up on colic, sleeping patterns, development markers for growth, diaper rash, baby Einstein videos, or toys to help motor skills. I probably will one day soon, (or not, who knows.) but that's not what is consuming my head space when it comes to preparing for baby Calvin. The two major things I'm doing to be adequately prepared for this little gift is reading and praying.

*I won't be able to exhaust all I want to say in one sitting. So today, I will expound what I'm reading in preparation for baby Calvin and either later today or tomorrow, I will write about what I'm praying in preparation for him.*

As broad as reading and praying are, they each have particular and specific manifestations.

My reading falls into two categories. The Bible and parenting books.

In preparation for Calvin, I'm reading the bible. I want my own knowledge of God to be built up so that my life is an informed and intentional living sacrifice to the God who saved me from my own sin. First Peter 2:9 says, "But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light." I was saved so that my life could be one of good works as a form of worship to God and as a testimony of his goodness to an unbelieving world. Because my husband is a believer, and therefore a fellow heir in Christ, my first evangelistic ministry is to my children. My life ought to be a living example of God's kindness and mercy to them. And my understanding of God informs and enhances my ability to live out this task.

A deeper understanding of God not only motivates my living for him, but it allows me to directly and correctly instruct my children. Though it is essential, it's not enough to assume that my holy living will inform my son about the characteristics of God. I need to be able to communicate those truths to him at every level of his understanding. In order for me to do that, I need to know those truths like the back of my hand. Second Peter 1:3 says, "His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence." The Bible contains all truths that "pertain to life and godliness." Have you seen how big the Bible is?! Then you can appreciate the burden and gravitas of that charge!

Well, I'm not just reading the Bible in preparation for baby Calvin. I'm also reading good parenting books. I think it's important to make two distinctions right off the bat here. Firstly, I need to say that no amount of reading outside the Bible, even books by wise Christian authors, can replace or substitute reading to gain knowledge from the Bible. The Bible is the inspired Word of the creator of the universe. All other books, as helpful as they can be and as God-honoring as they may be, are not. I admit that I have a tendency to spend more time reading books by MacArthur, Piper and others because of the ease of readability. But this should not be. And I'm making efforts to combat this. I'd encourage anyone reading this to make more efforts in getting your wisdom and knowledge PRIMARILY from the Word of God and not being content with Christian books that quote the Bible. I promise there is a difference in authority, and there is a difference in how your soul will be influenced.

Secondly, I want to emphasize my word choice. "I'm reading good parenting books." By this, I don't just mean I'm reading Christian parenting books. Unfortunately, in the majority of Christian bookstores, there are few choice of books that have sound doctrine, that exalt God above man, and that have principles rooted in scripture. It's sad. And I really exhort anyone reading to be careful in those stores. Many Christian parenting books and resources today is just secular psychology wrapped in "christian" language that vaguely and superficially address biblical concepts of parenting. A secular psychological concept that is supported with a bible verse taken out of its context is NOT biblical. Be careful.

With that said, getting your hands on a good parenting book is not only helpful, it's wise. As important as it is to get your wisdom primarily from the Bible, God has gifted people with the ability to teach and help communicate the truths found in scripture. Don't be foolish enough to think you have it all figured out. Find reputable, Bible-exalting authors you trust who have proven to be beyond reproach and read what they have to say on different subjects. Make use of the resources available to you. I have read Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp and am currently reading What the Bible Says About Parenting by John MacArthur. Both are blessings to my heart and soul because they are rooted in scripture and I highly recommend both to parents, parents-to-be, or anyone who has children in their care (aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc).

At a later time, I will write about the other way I am preparing for baby Calvin: through fervent and sincere prayer. As important as reading the Word is, it's imperative that we remember that even in our study and diligence, we are dependent on God's grace to understand his truths, and to apply them to our lives.

Cuteness side note: as I was writing this, this little son of mine was squirming and kicking restlessly. I love being a mom. Right now, it's so easy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment