Monday, September 30, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

I feel kind of silly to have "resolutions" as my topic when we are only about to embark on October. As if the holidays don't come too quickly on their own, here I am talking about a holiday tradition that is still months away.

Truth be told, I'm not one for new year's resolutions. I don't mean that I don't make them. I make them pretty much every year. What I mean is that they lose their novelty quickly. I suppose that's true for most people. But, throughout the year, they are resurrected and pursued for a season until circumstances fade them into the background again. I think that's normal, right?

My resolutions generally fall somewhere within three or four categories. They are generally spiritual, physical, and day-to-day. Specifically, they are usually, "read my Bible more," "workout more," "become better organized." Occasionally, I'll be driven to be more frugal.

Don't we live life like this? We begin on a new journey with energy and vigor. The demands of day-to-day life begin to creep and you've realized you haven't prioritized those resolutions enough, or intentionally carved out time for them, to sustain the momentum you began with.

Unfortunately, this is also true for our walk in the faith. It's not something to boast in, but I don't think it's something to beat yourself up about either. God knows His creation. He knows how easily we forget and how easily derailed we are by distractions. But He's patient. And loving. And available. And accessible. And faithful. And forgiving. And kind. And merciful. And gracious.

I just want to encourage anyone that might be reading and feeling like they are in a significant low point in their obedience and walk. Firstly, repent. God is gracious and eager to forgive. Secondly, don't feel like you have go into an emotional whirlwind stirring up your affections so you can "recommit" your life to Christ. Just start practicing obedience again with diligence, humility, and dependence on grace.

Jonathan Edwards had great resolutions. 70 of them. Here are some:

#25 Resolved, to examine carefully, and constantly, what that one thing in me is, which causes me in the least to doubt of the love of God; and to direct all my forces against it.

#42 Resolved, frequently to renew the dedication of myself to God, which was made at my baptism; which I solemnly renewed, when I was received into the communion o the church; and which I have solemnly re-made this twelfth day of January.

#60 Resolved, whenever my feelings begin to appear in the least out of order, when I am conscious of the least uneasiness within, or the least irregularity without, I will then subject myself to the strictest examination.

#53 Resolved, to improve every opportunity, when I am in the best and happiest frame of mind, to cast and venture my soul on the Lord Jesus Christ, to trust and confide in him, and consecrate myself wholly to him; that from this I may have assurance of my safety, knowing that I confide in my Redeemer.

#3 Resolved, if ever I shall fall and grow dull, so as to neglect to keep any part of these Resolutions, to repent of all I can remember, when I come to myself again.


So, though it is nearly October, renew a diligent pursuit of the resolutions you made earlier this year so you can close 2013 on a high note and embrace 2014 with the joy the Lord provides!

No comments:

Post a Comment