Sunday, January 26, 2014

Next Chapter

Sergio and I kind of exist by semester. As long as we've been together, it's been this way. We were college students when we met, dated, got engaged, and during the first two and a half years of our marriage. Then he started seminary. And though my days aren't measured by deadlines and finals anymore, I still feel the burden of them. Even though I don't have winter and summer breaks from studies, I still enjoy them as just that. I no longer have "first days back," but they still encroach bringing excitement, anticipation, and hopeful planning alongside them.

Well, we recently started a new semester. Last semester was our first as parents. In a way, this semester feels like a first as well. I guess it really isn't, but it feels that way sometimes. This time around, by the time school started, we felt settled. The newness of being parents has worn off (although it still hits me at random times). Calvin and I are in a groove in our day to day routine. We get each other. He knows how to let me do my housework and I know when I've asked too much of him and he needs some play time with his mother... or a nap. We eagerly await my husband's return at the end of the day. And we feel so thrilled (in a settling way) when he does arrive. We are comfortable.

Sergio and I evaluate each semester. We don't formally sit down and write out our hopes and plans, but we do talk about them at each school break. We communicate what we would like to see done better or differently than the previous semester and what we would like to see accomplished in the one to come.

I'm keeping myself busy this semester. I'm attending Every Woman's Grace, a women's group bible study that meets weekly. We go through a study of a book of the Bible by doing homework-styled questions pertaining to the book. I'm still a part of the Seminary Wives fellowship that also meets weekly. It is a group of women married to seminary students that break into smaller groups for the purpose of encouragement, edification, praying for and building one another up. I'm also exercising regularly and we have decided to bring in Sergio's parents' dog, Paxton. This isn't to mention some of the books I want to read! In addition to these, I have a couple side projects in mind that would use some of my gifts to serve the body in different ways.

As wonderful as all these things are, I think that this semester will be a good measuring stick for my threshold of time management. I don't want to neglect my duties and responsibilities in the home (as they are my first priority). But Sergio and I also want our family life to revolve around the church. We want to love what Christ loves and the church is his bride. We want to establish those relationships, grow in our understanding of Scripture, and serve our brothers and sisters. We want our son to see the love of Christ displayed in what we choose to do with our time. So this semester will really be instrumental in me finding that balance of time in the home and time outside of it.

I have women in my life whom I love, admire, and want to emulate who vary greatly in their involvement in activities outside the home. I've come to the conclusion that the amount of things someone can put on their plate and execute well is different from person to person. I don't know how many things I can do yet. That's what I'm trying to determine. And I realize that things will also change as life's circumstances do (finances, more children, etc.).

So far, about two weeks in, it's going well. I don't feel at all overwhelmed or stretched too thin. I'm feeling refreshed, encouraged and blessed. Above all though, I want the Lord to be glorified in my life. I so don't want to compromise my relationship with him or my calling to my husband, children and home to pursue other things. I think it'll be a good learning experience. If I have bags under my eyes come June, you'll know why and I'm sure another blog post about the lesson I learned will soon follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment